My go to breakfast is always a smoothie; quick and easy and a great way to get in loads of nutrients and your 5 a day before the day even really starts! It also keeps me full until lunch to stop me reaching for any naughty snacks!
I make mine with frozen fruits and veg as it is cheaper and easier and also gives it a really smooth, thick, creamy texture.
This is my base breakfast smoothie recipe which I add different things to each day depending on what I feel I want/need. Give it a try add whatever you fancy or have to hand and see what you think!
2 large handfuls of spinach
1 handful broccoli
1 handful berries (whatever you fancy, I had frozen mixed berries)
2 tbsp oats
250ml almond milk (or any plant-based milk you fancy)
- 1tbsp ground flaxseeds – added protein, fibre, magnesium and omega 3. High in antioxidants, good for healthy skin and nails as well as great for helping relieve menopausal symptoms.
- 1tbsp chia seeds – added protein, fibre, omega 3 and high in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- 1tbsp hemp seeds – complete protein containing all 20 amino acids and also all 9 essential amino acids that our bodies cannot produce. High in magnesium, vitamin E and other vitamins and minerals.
- ½ tbsp maca powder – boosts energy
- 1tsp ground turmeric – antioxidant/anti-inflammatory
- ½ tsp to 1tsp spirulina powder – super high in protein and iron, great for blood and heart health
- 1 tsp carob powder/cocoa powder – adds a sweet chocolatey flavour (carob is naturally caffeine free)
- 1 tsp sweetener (maple syrup, honey etc) – if you like it sweet!
Don’t add all the extras at one time or you will have a weird tasting smoothie!